To download the full newsletter, click here.
2018 Final Taxes
The final tax bill for 2018 is payable in TWO installments; July 27 and October 26.
Things to Remember…
2018 marks the second year of a New Assessment Cycle. Every four years, MPAC (Municipal Property Assessment Corporation) updates the value of each property across Ontario, the latest assessment effective January 1, 2016. These new assessment values will be used to calculate property taxes from 2017 to 2020.
Assessment appeals do not relieve the property owner from having to pay the taxes on the due dates as set out in the tax bill.
Tax Arrears Certificate can now be registered after two years: this legislation came into force on May 30, 2017 as a result of Bill 68. If your taxes are more than two years in arrears, please contact us to make payment arrangements to avoid any potential tax sale proceeding.
Penalty/interest charges of 1.25% per month are added to all outstanding taxes on the first day of the month following the due date, and each month thereafter while there is an amount in arrears.
How to Pay your Tax Bill:
- Preauthorized payment plan (monthly or by installment)
- Internet and telephone banking
- In person at the municipal office (cash, cheque or debit)
Have your say in the upcoming municipal and school board election on October 22. If you are a resident, owner or tenant of property, a Canadian citizen, and 18 years of age you can vote in the municipal and school board elections. Check and see if you’re on the list to vote. By logging into www.voterlookup.ca, eligible electors can: confirm or update their information, add an elector name to an address; and change school support.
Important Information about Dog Tags
- Dog Tags were issued for three years beginning January 1, 2018. Dog owners will continue to be invoiced annually.
- If you no longer have a dog please notify the Township by July 31, 2018.
- It is a requirement that all dogs have tags.
2018 Capital Projects
Sideroad 10 Paving
- Culvert replacement and paving will continue on SR 10, from Perdue Road to East Back Line
Concession 8 Paving
- In 2017 Concession 8 from SR 6 to north of SR 8 (Mooresburg) was reconstructed, paving currently in progress
- To better serve the Township, we will be replacing a snowplow
- The Sullivan Public Works Shop and the Administration Office are having upgrades and renovations completed
- Sullivan – scalehouse replacement and transfer station is being constructed
- Markdale – purchase of cover plates, roll-off bins and compacter replacement and construction of transfer station
- The Water Standpipe is currently being replaced in the Village of Chatsworth
Garbage Bag Tag Changes
- Beginning August 1, 2017 residential users are entitled to one bag without a tag bi-weekly. Commercial and Industrial users are entitled to three bags without tags bi-weekly.
- Bags tags remain the same at $2.50 each for 2018
Household Hazardous Waste Days
The Township has continued its involvement with the Household Hazardous Waste Days located at 1900-20th Street East, in Owen Sound from 9:00 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Remaining Household Hazardous Waste Day collections are available to residents on July 7, August 11, September 8, October 13 & October 27.
For more detailed information call the Township Office.
Landfill Sites and Hours
(702320 Side Road 5)
Summer (Apr 1 – Oct 31)
Mondays and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Winter (Nov 1–Mar 31)
Mondays from 10:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Note: Open every Monday including holidays with the exception of Christmas Day.
(775557 Highway 10)
Mondays 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (except holidays – then open Tuesdays)
Saturdays 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.