Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

Animal Control

The Township of Chatsworth wishes to ensure a safe environment for animals and people alike. Below is a list of services and/or information to assist you.

All dogs must be licensed in the Township and are required to have a Dog Tag to help identify your pet and return it home safely.

No more than three dogs per property are permitted, unless you are a kennel operator, licensed by the Township.

If you no longer have a dog previously licensed, please contact the Township Office to update our information.

To report a dog or livestock running at large, please contact our Animal Control Officer, Cheryl Roberts, at 519-373-1000.


The Townships animal services are regulated under our various by-laws including the licensing of dogs, and animals running at large.

For more information, please contact the Clerk’s department at 519-794-3232.

Dog Licensing

The Township of Chatsworth requires every dog owner to register his or her dog and obtain an annual license. Dog tags identify your pet and ensure they get home safely if they are lost. If your dog is picked up by Canine Control and it does not have a tag, you may incur additional fees and charges.

In 2024, permanent dog tags will be issued to all registered dogs in the Township. From 2025 forward all registered dog owners will receive their annual invoice by mail and dogs will be required to wear their permanent tag.

For more information, please contact the Township office at 519-794-3232.

Kennel Licensing

The Township of Chatsworth regulates and licenses dog kennels within the Township. The Township Zoning By-law does not allow for kennels. Anyone wishing to operate a kennel will need to apply for a site-specific zone amendment and kennel license. For more information please see the Dog By-law or contact the Township office at 519-794-3232.

Livestock Claims

The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs compensates livestock producers when their livestock or poultry are injured or killed by predatory wildlife through the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program. For more information, please visit the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs website.

Agriculture/ Wildlife

The Township of Chatsworth boasts of the beauty of many rivers and streams, rolling hills, forests, scenic falls, rocks, inland lakes and the Niagara Escarpment. Rural and rustic in nature, it is the home of some of the most photographic and perfect views of nature. When visiting Chatsworth, you will experience an atmosphere that is beautiful, quiet and peaceful. With a strong emphasis on farming, Chatsworth is also home to a significant Amish community that brings with it an opportunity to step back in time.

Essentially a rural community, the Township of Chatsworth takes its flavour from the farmlands and forests surrounding it.

By-law 2019-31 – Appoint Livestock Valuators 2018-2022

If  a farm animal has been killed by a predator please call the Township Valuer: Brian Klages – 519-375-5431

Website: Ontario Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Rural Affairs 

Ontario’s Wildlife Damage Compensation Program
Completing a Program Application Form – A Resource for Investigators

January 2017

The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program (OWDCP) provides compensation to eligible producers whose livestock and/or poultry have been injured or killed as a result of wildlife predation or whose bee colonies, beehives and/or beehive-related equipment has been damaged as a result of wildlife predation.

OMAFRA maintains its commitment to supporting industry growth and market competitiveness by limiting financial hardship to Ontario producers who have experienced loss or damages due to wildlife predation.

Application submission process and timeline

  1. The owner must contact the municipality/program administrator within 48 hours of discovering the carcass or injured animal.
    • Owner is required to preserve the site and is encouraged to take colour photos.
  2. The municipality/program administrator must immediately notify a municipal/territorial investigator.
  3. The investigator must conduct a thorough investigation and take colour photos within three (3) business days of having been notified.
    • The investigator must complete the program application based on the findings of their investigation. The investigator and owner must certify the documented information is true and accurate to the best of their knowledge and sign the application.
  4. The investigator must submit the completed application and all additional evidence to the municipality within seven (7) business days of the on-site investigation.
    • If the owner has any additional evidence, it should also be submitted to the municipality within the same seven (7) business days.

Re-Imbursement process
Each person making a claim must have an FBR Number to be re-imbursed for the wildlife loss. (If you do not have an FBR number please contact Agricorp at 1-888-247-4999).  If you are a member of a Mennonite Community, you may be eligible for an FBRN exemption.  You MUST still contact Agricorp to receive the FBRN exemption number.  Then, and only then, can you make a claim for reimbursement.  You must provide this exemption number to the territorial investigator conducting the investigation. You are also required to have a Premise ID# or you cannot make a claim.

(What is a premises identification (PID) number? A PID number is a unique identifying number assigned to a parcel of land. It is free and quick to obtain a PID. Most PIDs begin with “ON”, followed by a seven-digit number. If you need to obtain one, visit or call 1-888-247-4999).

Wildlife Claim Form


  • Brian Bridges:  519-379-4232
  • Byron Schwass:  519-387-8811
  • Kevin Funck: 519-378-5895
  • Greg Givens: 519-794-2735

Beaver Claim Form

  • Kevin Funck: 519-378-5895
  • Brian Bridges: 519-379-4232
  • Greg Givens: 519-794-2735
Back to top