Residential may set out as many bags as they desire, however only one bag may be untagged. All additional bags must be tagged. Commercial and industrial users will be entitled to three untagged bags bi-weekly. All additional bags must be tagged.
Garbage tags may be purchased at the office or at various bag tag locations throughout the Township. Currently, 6 & 10 Convenience and the Esso Gas Station in Chatsworth, and the Williamsford General Store and Holland Centre Gas Bar have bag tags for sale. Cost for a bag tag is $2.50 per tag per bag.
The Township does not guarantee time of pick up by our contractors and therefore, garbage bags must be at the curb on the day of pick-up by 6:00 a.m. in a clearly visible area. Garbage and recycling must be placed on the following roadside: Township Roads – Mailbox side. Provincial, County and Townline Roads – End of driveway.
If a pickup is missed, the contractor will not return to a property for any reason.
Maximum bag size is 26″x36″ and not exceeding 22 kilograms per bag. Garbage boxes or bins must have a visible marker to indicate “full” or “empty”.
The Township of Chatsworth is committed to ensuring that we extend the life of our waste disposal sites as long as possible. We are committed to a greener township and are working towards that goal in all of our operations. There are two landfill sites located within our municipality, which are available to all Township of Chatsworth residents:
Electronic Waste Drop Off
Hours of Operation Monday, Tuesday, Friday and Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Sullivan Transfer Station; 702320 Sideroad 5
Summer (Apr 1 – Oct 31)
Mondays and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Winter (Nov 1–Mar 31)
Mondays from 10:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Note: Open every Monday including holidays with the exception of Christmas Day
Household hazardous waste days allow for the safe and proper disposal of hazardous substances.
The City of Owen Sound hosts disposal days 8 times per year at the City of Owen Sound Public Works Facility, Household Hazardous Waste Depot located at 1900 20th Street East, Owen Sound.
Through an agreement with the City this service is open to all Township of Chatsworth residents and allows residents to safely, and environmentally responsibly, dispose of hazardous waste.
Hours of operation are 9:00 a.m. to 2:00p.m.
The dates for 2022 are:
- Saturday, April 23, 2022
- Saturday, May 14, 2022
- Saturday, June 18, 2022
- Saturday, July 16, 2022
- Saturday, August 20, 2022
- Saturday, September 10, 2022
- Saturday, October 1, 2022
- Saturday, October 15, 2022
Acceptable items include:
- Aerosol cans (full or partially full)
- Brake fluid
- Cosmetics and beauty products
- Gasoline (containers brought to the depot will not be returned)
- Fluorescent tubes and CFL bulbs (broken ones are not accepted)
- Glues and adhesives
- Household cleaners (includes oven, drain, floor, glass and toilet cleaners)
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Mercury containing items
- Mildew remover
- Motor oil
- Oil filters
- Paints (liquid and solid)
- Paint thinner and varnish remover
- Pesticides, insecticides and herbicides
- Pool chemicals
- Propane tanks
- Prescription medicines
- Windshield washer fluid
Unacceptable items include:
- Materials containing PCBs (e.g. fluorescent light ballasts)
- Infectious or medical wastes (old syringes)
- Radioactive wastes (e.g. smoke detectors)
- Explosives, ammunition or flares
- If you have any of the items listed above, please contact your local police branch for further disposal information
- Broken or leaking containers
- Unidentified wastes
- Empty containers, recycling and garbage
- Material generated by farms, industrial, commercial and institutional sources
Please visit the City of Owen Sound’s Household Hazardous Waste page for a more complete listing.